Pages

Friday 2 December 2011

SR FIRST IMPRESSION: ADIDAS F50 MICOACH

It’s arguably the hottest boot on the market. And it’s pretty easy to see why. With names behind the brand such as Lionel Messi, Gareth Bale and Luis Suarez, the adidas miCoach F50 adiZero is the boot a lot of kids dream of owning. I’ve been fortunate enough to test out the synthetic version of the boot prior to its selling date, and I was the envy of a lot of people as I gave the boot its first run through on Monday.


As the owner of the warning F50 adiZero, there are some noticeable differences between the new and the old model. The upper is definitely the most noticeable change between the new and old adiZero. While the red sections of the boot feel the same as the old upper, it’s the yellow sections that are unlike anything we’ve seen on an adiZero. It certainly feels impressive, and it takes away the potentially tacky feel of the old adiZero upper. Plus you’ve got the new Sprint Frame, which looks a lot sharper than the one found on the old adiZero, but that’s where the buck stops in terms of my impressions of the boot before I tried it on.


Adidas have almost certainly picked the wrong colourway to launch the new miCoach F50 adiZero. While I normally don’t mind bright boots, the colourway screams cheap. While it looks impressive from the distance, it’s just too bright. Adidas should have chosen a more conservative colourway to launch the boot. It’s all a marketing ploy to make the boot memorable, but the colourway doesn’t look too good. And yes, it certainly does look Ronald McDonald inspired.




We’ll get on to how I got on with the fit of the boot. As soon as I put the boot on, I was immediately satisfied. One of my frustrations with the old adiZero was the lack of a secure fit around my ankle. I’d use the runners knot suggested in our recent ‘how to’ article, but it still wasn’t as good as I hoped it would be. You definitely won’t need the runners knot with the new adiZero. It’s really, really tight, and it’s how a speed boot should be. It’s all down to adidas putting more meat into the collar of the boot. It’s led to a supreme fit and, surprisingly, it’s actually pretty comfortable. And just like with every adiZero boot we’ve seen, you immediately feel light on your feet with the boots, so no changes there.
Another one of the problems with speed boots in general is that you never feel overly satisfied when you kick in synthetic upper boots. It’s always a ‘smack’ when you kick in synthetic boots, it’s not always the satisfying connection I get with leather boots. I can say that adidas have improved how kicking feels in the new boot. While they will never reach the satisfying kick you get with leather boots, it’s probably one of the better synthetic boots I’ve kicked with. This is probably all down to the new upper, but another bonus is that you still get the incredibly close feel with the ball that you would have got with the old adiZero.


But is it worth ditching your old adiZeros in favour for the new adiZero? Amazingly, I think I’d rather save myself a bit of money and get an older, discounted F50 adiZero over the miCoach adiZero. While I’ve been fairly impressed with the adiZero so far. It reminds me a bit of the transition between the Superfly II and III. While there are more changes between the new and old adiZero than the Superfly II and III (which was really an insult to the intelligence of the consumer, brighter colours to get you spotted on the pitch, I mean, come on), I haven’t seen enough yet for me to actually pay the £150 for the miCoach F50 adiZero.
Mind you, we haven’t got the actual miCoach system yet, which is probably the biggest selling point of the boot. Plus I’ve only used the boot once. Maybe a few more uses out of the boot will change my mind, but while my first impressions of the boot have largely been positive, it hasn’t blown me away enough to confidently say that we should all demand one for Christmas this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment